Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

I got busy this afternoon.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Aren't those the most delicious looking gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, corn-free chocolate chip cookies that you've ever seen in your whole entire life? If you have the same kind of dietary restrictions I have, I think you're probably saying yes. Mmm, the outsides are crunchy, and the middles are nice and soft. When Christopher got home, I shoved one into his mouth, and his reaction was "What?! These have wheat in them!". Nope. No Sir. "Yes they do!". Sorry Mister, them there cookies are Herman-household friendly! I've slightly altered (I have to alter everything to make it work for us) a recipe that I found over at the Gluten Free Goddess's blog. Let me know if you try them.


"Tastes like they have wheat in them chocolate chip cookies"
You'll need:
-3/4 cup buckwheat flour
-1/2 cup white rice flour
-1/4 cup arrowroot flour
-1/4 cup brown rice flour
-1/4 cup tapioca starch
-1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (heaping)
-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
-2 teaspoons baking powder (we make ours from scratch, to make sure that its corn free)
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1 bag chocolate chips (we use "enjoy life" brand)
-1 1/2 cups sugar (organic turbinado works best)
-1/2 cup shortening (we use "spectrum palm oil shortening")
-3 teaspoons vanilla extract
-6 overflowing tablespoons vanilla milk (we use "Blue Diamond" brand)
-2 egg replacers (we use "Ener-G" brand)

Preheat your oven to 350.

Mix the first 10 ingredients together in one bowl, and mix the the last 5 together in a different bowl. Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry. When you do this, you'll probably think "Tia, crazy lady, there is no way this is going to work, it needs way more liquid". But be patient Bettie, it doesn't. Trust me? Mix mix mix. ...There, see? Take off your rings and brass knuckles, because you're diggin' in. Roll your dough into even sized balls, and space them out on your cookie sheets. If your dough is stiff enough, press your balls down with the back of a spoon (just slightly). If your dough is squishy and the spoon seems to stick, then the dough will probably melt down on its own. I bake mine for 17-19 minutes. And mmmmmm. They come out so good.

11 comments:

K Allrich April 17, 2008 at 7:41 PM  

Yay- glad you liked the recipe. I need to get busy myself- and bake some more. I am cookie-less.

Oh Mandie April 18, 2008 at 3:28 AM  

YUM! those look awesome!!

I know how shitty it can be to constanly alter recipies! My youngest son has an enzyme deficiency and cant have anything with high iron in it.

The Nature Nut April 18, 2008 at 9:06 AM  

Wow those look really good! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us :o)

BeckyKay April 18, 2008 at 9:22 AM  

Congratulations! I've been feeling sorry for you with your dietary restrictions. :) I don't know what I would do without cookies!

Those look delicious!

capitolagirl April 18, 2008 at 10:36 AM  

Wow, those look delicious. Thanks for the recipe. I have a friend with a gluten-allergy, I'll have to forward this to her. They look great!

Tia Colleen April 18, 2008 at 12:14 PM  

*gasp* karina herself, posting on MY blog? I feel so honored :)

thisoldhenhouse, an enzyme deficiency? that sounds so difficult. but I bet you being the crafty mama that you are, work around it like nobodys business.

yeah becky, haha, there was no way this girl was going without her treats and sweets for very long!

Aimee Dars April 18, 2008 at 6:39 PM  

Yummy! Yea for vegan cookies!!!!

Anonymous,  April 19, 2008 at 11:05 AM  

Those look so good! I'm going to have to try them for sure :)

Home Of The Gumbles April 19, 2008 at 12:00 PM  

Those look so yummy!! I could really go for a chocolate chip cookie right now. Thanks for the idea!

Diana April 19, 2008 at 10:35 PM  

Wow. Those look good enough to drool on a keyboard over. And -- looky there! -- mission accomplished.

You should move back to the Pacific Northwest and bring your delicious treats.

Sorry about all the dietary restrictions! For the ordinary, that would sincerely suck but it looks like you've really found a way to beat it. You're so cool like that.

xox

Post a Comment