Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

All things Vanilla.

Friday, April 3, 2009

So I'm really interested in making my own vanilla. Not making it, I guess, since its grown, but you know what I mean. It seems we may have finally pinpointed the seemingly endless ache in my tummy, so I've been eyeballing food blogs and flickr sets like the occasional closet case binge eater that I someday hope to be. I'm not going to jump the gun though. Whenever I get trigger happy, I land myself in a taste bud induced coma. Not this time folks. I'm being careful. So for now, I'll be just looking. I think I'll take my first leap into the world of xanthan gum when we make our Easter cupcakes. One step at a time. (And more on my possible diagnosis later).

Today on my imaginary plate, vanilla. All things, Vanilla.


10 comments:

OliveStreetStudio April 3, 2009 at 8:51 AM  

I LOVE LOVE vanilla. And you make me wonder how it is grown - it is a plant? tree? shrub? I have no idea! Something to look into this weekend...:-)

Chrisy April 3, 2009 at 8:57 AM  

I know what the plants are and how to use them...courtesy of the tv cook shows...but i've never actually done it...best of luck....hope you get some delicious stuff out of it!

Benny and the Jet April 3, 2009 at 9:56 AM  

Ohhhh nummers yummers.

Since we're both chefs, we have little jars in a couple of cupboards with vanilla experiments.. several of vanilla sugar (used pods just shaken up with sugar & left to get all delicious).. one of gin and vanilla (super uber-yum).. i think there's still vanilla oats in there somewhere too..

Needs Coffee To Live April 3, 2009 at 1:33 PM  

Awesome! I love vanilla! I am actually going to start making a vanilla candle soon :-D

I'm SO happy that you may have figured out what's going on! I'm crossing my fingers for ya!

Parallax April 3, 2009 at 5:33 PM  

I LOVE vanilla to - these pictures are tempting me to go blow my paycheck on etsy-vanilla-goodness

Art Kitten April 3, 2009 at 5:35 PM  

Vanilla is one of my favorite flavors! Good choices for vanilla flavored items!

Jessica Marie April 3, 2009 at 6:55 PM  

i'm dying to try making vanilla but just don't think it'll turn out quite right... let me know how it goes when you try.

TheSeaWithin April 3, 2009 at 8:08 PM  

I made my own vanilla recently! I love it!

Marilyn April 4, 2009 at 9:24 AM  

Mmm I love Vanilla! Vanilla gets a bad rep sometimes as they equate it to "Plain" but it's one of my favorite flavors. Good luck making some!

Bayberry Meadow Herbs April 6, 2009 at 7:35 PM  

Vanilla is actually from the orchid family and is grown basically in the rainforests or hot/high humidity areas. I make my own infused vanilla with olive oil for my soaps/lotions, but you can make some with vodak if using it for drinking or baking. Vanilla sugar and now vanilla salt has been the thing to do.

Post a Comment