Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Get out of the house. Its stuffy in here.

Thursday, July 2, 2009


This. This is where I like to keep my son. Nestled in my lap. That look on his face isn't one of annoyance, I assure you. Its one of "Wow, I love my Mom. My Mom is the best. Shes not overprotective at all. I don't want to be out running around in the sprinkler with Daddy and big Sister, I'd much rather just sit here on the porch like a lump on Mommy's log of a lap. Yes. I love my Mom". Really.

I read recently, or, was reminded recently, that kids need an hour of exercise a day, just like adults do. Exercise being, up and moving. In the summers here, Texas, this being our 4th round, as I've mentioned every other day (no I'm not bitter at all, the Military is super awesome)... its just too hot for that. We either have to go out at 7am, or wait until the sun goes down. Or, if we're really lucky, once in a purple moon, we'll have a cold front come in and cool us off into the 80's, at which time we'll spend the entire day outside because the world might be coming to an end tomorrow. I can't see any other reason for it to be below 100.

Well this got me thinking. Again. I'm always thinking about whats best for my kids. Whats best for them, and me, and my husband, and the cats (one of them needs a new home and it breaks my heart), and... it never stops (the cat needs a new home I meant, not my husband or the kids, I think I'll keep them). My brain goes until a headache shuts it down. I used to lay awake at night thinking about things. I had insomnia bad. Now I pass out as soon as my face hits the pillow, thank you Charlie. So I've been thinking about how I have to make it a priority to get the kids outside every day. We recently bought a porch set, a glass table with 4 cushioned chairs, from the BX (base exchange, kind of like a kmart on base, tax free). I love it. Every chance I get, I bug the entire family and drag them outside so I don't have to sit alone. This way, everyone is getting fresh air, even if its so thick with humidity it clogs our lungs. Eleanore is stretching her legs, even if we're yelling at her to stay out of the street. Charlie is banging his fists down on the table (hey, hes moving, so its exercise, right). Christopher is chasing after Eleanore. And I'm... well usually I'm just sitting there relaxing, but... that's not the point. The point is, I'm making a conscious effort to get, and keep, my family outside for extended lengths of time during the day, every day, no matter what the day is like. No matter how many vicious man eating spiders I have to smack off of my arm and kill with my flip flop.
(wow I really get off track sometimes)

And, exercise exercise exercise.

Um... End.

5 comments:

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life July 2, 2009 at 9:16 AM  

Here in Southeast Georgia too. We hole ourselves up in the house from...oh...about late May through early September. It's miserable outside....the kids get heat rashes and bug bites....it's just gross. And I hate it. We just put up a nice fence too, so my son had an area to run in and I wouldn't have to chase him out of the swamp. And then summer came. Stupid summer.

Home Deconomics July 2, 2009 at 9:33 AM  

I would not be able to live in a hot climate. I don't do well in extreme temperatures. Up here (Seattle-ish)if it reaches 80 that's too hot.I go inside and find the shade. No one has AC up here.

I just can't imagine that kind of heat! *hugs the pacific northwest*

Unknown July 2, 2009 at 9:55 AM  

ugh, it is ridiculously, disgustingly hot. My girls sleep until 9:30 or 10 in the morning, so we have to wait until 5:30 pm before we go outside. Then we play in the shade. Its bearable, but only if we wait until then to go out. Yuck!

Amy July 2, 2009 at 11:59 AM  

NEVER.STOP.Posting pictures of Charlie.

I'll be so sad when his arm rolls smooth out.

Megan July 2, 2009 at 1:01 PM  

I love being outside. For some reason, even just sitting outside seems healthier than sitting inside.

And I feel your pain with the heat...although, Texas is (somehow, God only knows) hotter than Florida. I couldn't believe when we went there last summer.

Post a Comment