Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Playing With Clay

Thursday, September 24, 2009

I've been wanting to experiment with clay for awhile. Every time I pass it at the craft or hobby store, I give it a nod, just so it knows that I see it, but I never stop to talk. I don't want to give clay the wrong impression. I've never spent much time with any kind of clay before, and I'm afraid I wouldn't know what to do with it once I had it in my hands.

Finally I gave in to temptation.


First I just wanted to get a feel for it. Ya know, roll it around between my fingers and mush it flat in my palms. It took only a few minutes for it to warm up to me, and once it did, the result was quite nice.

I made a set of 5 house ornaments for a friend of mine, as part of a pay it forward project. My baking times need working on, the first few I almost burnt, the following ones may not have cooked long enough. It worked out, in the end though. A little paint and a damp cloth, and voila! I just need to get some wire to string them up with, and then they'll be ready to wrap and send off.

Mine and clay's relationship is off to a bumpy start, but with some sanding and smoothing, I think clay and I might have a decent future in store for us.

7 comments:

This Little Bird September 24, 2009 at 8:32 AM  

the result is super cute. I love it. Your friend is super lucky. What kind of clay are you using??

You seem to be great at anything you try Tia...I know you said you couldn't sew..but I bet if you bought a used sewing machine you'd be a wiz in no time.

Keep up the good work :)

Unknown September 24, 2009 at 9:39 AM  

They are so cute! I really like the color!

Tia Colleen September 24, 2009 at 10:34 AM  

Thank you guys! I hope that as I get the hang of it, my next set turns out just a little bit better. I like the colors too. I was thinking of making some using our designs and putting them up in our etsy shop, but.... not anytime soon.

Nessa, I really don't think I could sew. I think theres too much math involved in reading a pattern (does that make sense?). My talent stops 5 feet before the sewing machine, really.

Oh Mandie September 24, 2009 at 10:57 AM  

oooh they turned out super awesome!! I totally think you should put them in your etsy shop!

I tried to play with clay once ... the result was not pretty.

Unknown September 24, 2009 at 11:18 AM  

Haha, you're so cute. Glad you and clay finally stopped to chat! Your ornaments are adorable!!

I don't know what you used, but you'll have to come over and play with clay with me sometime soon. I've been itching to make a little terrarium and filling it with all sorts of clay things. CRAFT DATE!

Anonymous,  September 26, 2009 at 9:28 PM  

Those are cute! Much better than my first try with clay. (It was so bad...that's why I don't work with it anymore, obviously.) ;)

Post a Comment