Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

i heart faces: Best Face Photo

Monday, January 11, 2010

This weeks challenge over at i heart faces, is to choose a photo that you took in December of 2009, or January, that you feel shows off where you're currently standing with your photography skills. I hopped over to my flickr, and scanned through my pictures. The memory that I decided to use, was this one of Charlie...


Its not the best picture that I've taken, but its pictures like these that I cherish the most. The reason for my photography hobby, is to document my children's lives. I want there to be pictures for every day of every year. It may sound a little ridiculous, but what I wouldn't give to have pictures like that from my own childhood. I want to (and I want them to) remember the simple things. Like when Charlie first started pulling himself up and walking along the window sill, grabbing at the Christmas lights while attempting to take big boy steps all on his own. The lights were always on, because I'm the lazy kind of mom that would rather sit down during my 5 minute break between changing diapers than walk across the room and unplug the dang things, so he was constantly grabbing at the little bulbs, and I was constantly yelling at him to stop. It then turned into a game. Charlie would stand at the window, look over his shoulder, and once he knew I was looking, he'd start picking at the lights. When I told him "No!", he'd start stomping and giggling, which would cause him to fumble and fall, but right back up he'd get, just to grab another handful of lights, and look over his shoulder at Mommy again.

Visually, I take better pictures when I'm surrounded with better light. I take better pictures when I'm in a better mood. I take better pictures when I really try to take a better picture.

Realistically, I take better pictures when my heart is present. I take better pictures when my camera settings are wrong and my angles are sloppy. I take better pictures when I'm documenting my life, rather than trying to take a picture.

*sigh*

Oh little Charlie. You and that window sill.

13 comments:

Sarah January 11, 2010 at 11:09 PM  

oh charlie.
and oh you.
posts like these are the very reason that i love your blog.

Alyssa S. January 12, 2010 at 6:48 AM  

I think it's a great picture...visually...and heck...it's of Charlie the Adorable...so it can't be bad. The best thing, though, is that you have such vivid memories attached to it.

Laura Craig January 12, 2010 at 6:54 AM  

Goodness he is AAAAAAdorable!!! I just love baby rolls!!! hehe!!! Look at those arms!!!!! (My Maddybug is the only of my 3 children to have any kind of meat on her bones as a baby! The other two were itty bitty's!) He is just too sweet!!!

And I agree 100% with your Visually and Realistically parts of your post! I get so upset with myself when I focus more on lighting, position, sharpness, etc. And I don't realize what is in the picture before me.

Christina January 12, 2010 at 8:21 AM  

Awww. :) He is so cute and the lights story is cute too! I always like your photos.

Unknown January 12, 2010 at 11:31 AM  

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I love your picture for so many reasons. I love that you used available light. I love that you said your heart is in it when you take pictures of your kids. And I LOVE the little fat rolls. In my opinion, fat babies are THE BEST KIND! I mean look at him! Could he be any cuter? Absolutely not. Simply DARLING! What a precious baby boy! Very sweet!

Amanda January 12, 2010 at 12:11 PM  

The rolls are super fantastically awesome!

jonahbonah January 12, 2010 at 9:49 PM  

I love it! You said just the right thing...Charlie will be proud to one day hold this photo!

melissa

ch January 12, 2010 at 10:02 PM  

So true! It seems to be when you just click haphazardly in the moment that the best shots are captured! Love this one!

Erin M January 13, 2010 at 2:45 PM  

i love charlie's rolls LOVE THEM. So super cute

Dot O January 13, 2010 at 9:48 PM  

Gosh, I love those little arms!! He's adorable. I took pics of my kids when they were small but if I had digital technology back then, I would have taken a ton more.

Snap away - it flies by too quickly.

Post a Comment