Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Sunday Bagels Made On Monday

Tuesday, January 19, 2010



I used to be in the habit of baking bagels every Sunday. I'd only bake one batch, even though it wouldn't be quite enough to get us through the week, but if I would have made a double batch it would have been too much, and making a batch and a half is just unheard of! When the holidays rolled around, I didn't have time for Sunday bagel baking, it fell off of my to do list and we went without. Going without became the new norm. And then came pregnancy. Most of you know exactly what I'm talking about, and I could probably just stop there, but I know that there are a few non-mama's that read my little blurbs from time to time, especially when they see food on the screen, so for you (because I love you just as much as those of us who don't get to sleep in on the weekends) I'll briefly explain how pregnancy affects the will to cook or bake. Nausea is often triggered by sight and smell. Baking and cooking requires both of those senses, and should I be touching or smelling the wrong thing at the wrong time... well, now it probably makes more sense.

The other night, at 3am, which I guess would make it morning then, I was craving a bagel sandwich. I ate them every midnight for about 3 months when I was pregnant with Eleanore, and after waking up to use the bathroom, because I'm already to the point of belly expansion and bummer bladder control, I needed one. Only, of course, since I've been a lazy Lucy, we had no bagels.

So even though yesterday was Monday, not Sunday, I got out the Pamela's bread mix (while one of my yearly goals was to start baking from scratch more often, the bread mix is just so convenient, and comes out perfect every time), and used the last of it to roll a tray of bagels. It had been way too long since the house smelt like a bakery.

As always, they came out just right, and tasted better than any store bought bagel I've ever eaten. I don't have a stand mixer, so they come out lumpy and bumpy, but in the world of gluten free and especially in the world of homemade, it just doesn't get any better, ya know?

I really need to get back into the habit of baking bagels every Sunday.

10 comments:

CraftGirlAlli January 19, 2010 at 7:24 AM  

They do look rather delicious!

Unknown January 19, 2010 at 8:00 AM  

Mm, I never thought about baking bagels at home! Maybe I shall try :D

Unknown January 19, 2010 at 8:07 AM  

Those look SO good! A nice warm bagel would be perfect right now...

April January 19, 2010 at 8:12 AM  

Holy moly those look delicious! I haven't made bagels in awhile (I make my bread machine do all the work), but I'm feeling a bagel makin session coming on!

RecoveryBabe January 19, 2010 at 9:45 AM  

So you gonna post a recipe and your tips and tricks :)

soul_searching_mama January 19, 2010 at 1:11 PM  

Those look yummy! :) I recently made Sundays the day that I bake our bread/rolls/etc. for the week. I've been wanting to attempt bagels, but wasn't sure if they would turn out so great homemade. You have inspired me (yet again) to try something new! :)

Alyssa S. January 19, 2010 at 3:27 PM  

I LOOOOVVVEEE bagels...and can't have any right now! If I could lick my monitor and taste yours, I would. I think I may attack the bread section at Krogers once I'm allowed to eat real food again. I guess on the upside, I've lost 4 lbs since my surgery :)

beka January 19, 2010 at 8:20 PM  

Oh wow, they looked good! And I was just WAITING for the recipe as I scrolled down... :)

Lauren January 19, 2010 at 10:59 PM  

I so need to make bagels. These look amazing Tia!

Post a Comment