Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

How We Spent Our Saturday Afternoon

Sunday, June 27, 2010

The only way to play outside these days, is to play in the water. Charlie gets heat exhaustion within mere seconds of exposure to the sun, so unless a little black rain cloud is following him around dumping water on his head- I've got to do it.



So we set up the splash pad for the babies, squeezed the very last drops of sunblock out of the can, and then set ourselves up on our cushioned patio furniture under the shade of the porch.



In between yelling at the babies to stay in the water, and to stop playing with the ants at the base of the tree, and stop "riding" the velcro turtle around- the heat started hitting me hard. No matter how much I try to avoid admitting how hot 100 degrees really is, it still gets to me.



The longer I sat in the shade, the harder it was to keep my eyes open. I started drifting off into a faux heat coma, dreaming of swimming pools and ice cream cones (God, doesn't strawberry sound so good?). When I'd snap myself awake, I'd look over at Christopher, who was somehow wearing pants- and I'd instantly close my eyes again, because just the sight of his leg covering denim was making me even more uncomfortable.

But truthfully, this overheated Mama knows when to admit defeat.

"Go ahead honey, bring me the bucket of ice water", I miserably grumbled to Christopher, who had offered it several times before.



Yep. There I am... awkwardly dripping sweat, looking all sorts of clammy, soaking my giant walrus flippers in a big red wash bucket filled with quickly melting ice water.

And oh- how it felt so good.



"Bubbles, bubbles!", Charlie started shouting from the splash pad, and came running. See, this is the same bucket that we use when washing the car, so he assumed that it would be loaded with white frothy foam to cover his arms and legs in. He was sadly mistaken, but approached with a smile, dipped his hand into the cold clear water, and then started using it to paint all over my legs with.

So while there wasn't any soap in the bucket, like he had been hoping for, it was still loads of fun to get Mama all wet and watch her squirm.

And after sitting there with my cankles submerged in a slightly embarrassing pool of heaven- the world went from blurry, back to normal.

The view from where I was sitting, was quite nice.







Cooled off tootsies, clouds shaped like doughnuts, the babies playing together nicely in the water (without fighting over who gets the toy penguin), hubby reaching over and holding Bean, and ...heeeeeeeeeeeee. Well, there isn't really a description required for that one, is there, haha.



Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, Christopher goes inside to get us some glasses of water, and returns with homemade strawberry lemonade! I quickly gulped mine, leaving nothing but a ring of seeds around the edge.




While Christopher was trying to enjoy his, Miss Eleanore weasled her way into his arms, trying to sneak sips of what she knows shes allergic to.

Who can blame her for trying though, right? Its hard, especially on a hot summer day, to not want a tall glass filled with ice cold fruityness.





Towards the end of our lemonade though, just about the time that my feet had cooked the ice water into a pot of toe soup- it was time to pick up and go inside.

Put turtle and his friends away. Close up the garage. And lets go start thinking about what we're going to do for dinner...

15 comments:

beka June 27, 2010 at 2:59 PM  

Oh my gosh. Sometimes I just KNOW men are crazy.
Jeans? Holy crap. I don't even go outside much but seeing anyone in jeans on such a hot day would push me to the edge. I'm thanking God it rarely --rarely-- ever gets to 100 up here in WI.
Sigh.
Does anyone but children look good on such a day? They seemed to be having fun in the splashing:)

Unknown June 27, 2010 at 3:29 PM  

Despite the almost heat stroke, this looks like a most perfect day! :)

Mrs. Mommy June 27, 2010 at 4:21 PM  

LOVE it! It looks like what we SHOULD have been doing today, except hubby decided he wanted to mow the lawn instead. Silly husband!

We have that exact same water "mat" (for lack of better description). We also have a plastic pool that Bubba got for his birthday. I can't wait to take some pictures of my own with him playing in the water now!

TexasBobbi June 27, 2010 at 5:27 PM  

I love it, I am so glad you and the babies had so much fun. It sounds like Chris was running around alot.

Lana June 27, 2010 at 5:40 PM  

What a perfect day with the family...besides the heat! At least you had your water bucket

Devon June 27, 2010 at 6:41 PM  

Those are some great pics! Love the close up of Eleanore!

We are roasting like peanuts in PA today... only a fan to keep us cool. Can't imagine being in TX!

CourtneyKeb June 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM  

I need to send you my kid (as if you need anymore of a load than you already have). She hasn't seen sunlight in ohhh over a week.
Haha, it's hot here too!

Danielle @ We Have It All June 27, 2010 at 10:15 PM  

Oh it looked like a beautiful day. I always love looking at you pictures! You look so great too, I love belly pics. Oh and love the photos in your header too!!

Chelsey - The Paper Mama June 27, 2010 at 11:30 PM  

Really? Could your blog get any cuter? Probably... but, I'm LOVING the new pics! YAY!

Mommy Elephant Sarah June 28, 2010 at 12:01 AM  

You make sweating look like fun. ;) That picture of Charlie resting his hand on your leg is adorable. Is it just me or is he losing his baby rolls? :(

soul_searching_mama June 28, 2010 at 1:06 AM  

Looks like the perfect day! :)

Oh Mandie June 28, 2010 at 8:39 AM  

Those simple days are some of the best days, in my opinion anyways. And even though you were hot and clammy with your feet in bucket (been there!) You look happy :)

Kyla Roma June 28, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

This is such a beautiful peek into your life. Your family just makes me want to go straight over to my 5 year old god son's place and give him a huge hug :)

Anonymous,  June 28, 2010 at 1:31 PM  

Your blog is absolutely adorable! Im glad I found it!

Rogue Wild June 28, 2010 at 1:45 PM  

Chris' hand on Bean, that was so sweet! You know that so happy almost tears tight throat thing that happens sometimes? Well thats what that picture did, in a good way of course! You and C have a really awesome thing goin on =o)

My 17 yr old is working this summer and my 14 yr old is in AZ for another week ... seeing your pics makes me crave like crazy those days when they were little and splashing around in the plastic pool was an awesome summer!

Post a Comment